Friday, March 9, 2012

5 observations and peanut butter chocolate chip bars

blooms at the beach


  1. Hey, I got my braces off this week. It feels so good. Of course I'm pleased with how it looks (I was always pretty self-conscious of my crooked teeth). But mostly I'm enjoying to eat again. Eating with braces is uncomfortable and sometimes painful and usually gross for your dining companions. I'm very happy to finally have them off.
  2. We took the kids to a local production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night. It's a well-loved book and movie around here and the girls really enjoyed it. I will have the Oompa Loompa song in my head for the next month.
  3. The kids had the concluding show for their summer theatre classes last weekend. They had so much fun in their theatre classes this year. I'm really grateful for the summer arts programs my kids have done over the years here in Panama. It is one of the great things about living in this city.
  4. We are in full school-year swing. Every afternoon is a mad dash of homework, swimming and work. My older daughter started junior high this year and her homework has definitely increased. That girl pretty much swims and does homework. She seems to relish it though. She's usually asleep before her little sister.
  5. Andrew Bird's new album is out and I predictably love it. Here's a great song from it:


and to see a video go here:pitchfork.com/tv/city-of-music-andrew-bird


A school-lunch favourite:
peanut butter chocolate chip bars
1½ cups all-purpose flour (or 3/4 whole wheat 3/4 all-purpose)

½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup light brown sugar
¾ cup peanut butter
½ cup butter (room temperature)
½ cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips (semisweet or milk chocolate)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9X13 pan.

Sift and whisk together the flour, b. soda and salt and set aside.

Cream together the butter, peanut butter, and sugars. Add the egg and vanilla and continue mixing.  Fold in the flour and chocolate chips.

When it's mixed press it into the pan.

Bake for about 20 minutes. Start checking it at 15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment