Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Guna Yala

So we finally went to Guna Yala. It has been on my to-do list for a couple of years. And when I realized another vacation was almost over (school starts next week) I set a plan in motion.

This is the Carnaval long weekend. So all the beaches are pretty busy, and the islands in Guna Yala were no exception. When turned onto the Cartí road, we were a little surprised to see we were  in a line of SUVs going over the mountain. The asphalt is completely washed out in several places but the road is good--it would not be fun to drive at night. When we got to Cartí there were a lot of cars and people (it was a little daunting). But fortunately, it was all pretty organized. We arrived without a specific island in mind, and without having made any previous arrangements. So I was kind of impressed that we were on a boat to Isla Perro within forty-five minutes of arriving in Cartí.

We went to Isla Perro because I had asked for an island with good snorkeling. We were not disappointed. The water was clear and there were tons of little fish in the reef. There's also a sunken boat, overgrown with coral and full of fish, just a short swim from the shore. It was really fantastic. My kids hardly took their snorkels off.

We've been to some pretty nice places but this was something else. We were very sad to leave and we are already plotting a camping trip.

1 comment:

  1. If I had a printer I would print out those pics and hang them on my wall. You are a great photographer Laura. I'm happy to hear that you all had such a great time. Snorkeling sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete