Saturday, May 12, 2012

5 observations and little else

beauty all around

  1. I've fallen down the paint colour rabbit hole. I can spend hours messing around with the colour tools on paint and design sites (which is probably a complete waste of time because everything looks different in the paint store, not to mention on the walls). It looks like they will be ready to paint next week so I better settle on my choices, and prepare to live with them.
  2. I'm running a women's 5k next weekend with my older daughter. It's been really fun running with her the last couple of weeks, and I'm really looking forward to the race. She's so strong, and I'm so proud.
  3. My ninth graders are doing a found poetry project, and I explained found art and Dadaism and kinda blew their minds. I love teaching teenagers. They are hungry for ideas and anxious to say their opinions. Opinions that are so new, they are forming as they speak. I get to watch opinions being born and I love it. (Even if their opinions are surprisingly conservative sometimes.)
  4. We have a new route to school from the apartment. We have a short-cut through a creepy passage (well that's what we call it). Anyway, we saw some rats there the other day and my younger daughter, with complete sincerity and absolutely no fear, said awww how cute. They were particularly hefty, healthy looking fellows, but cute? I admired her ability to see beauty and told her about garbage and disease. She still thinks rats are cute. I love that she's not a squealing sissy, but I have to admit, I find it a little weird.
  5. Santigold has a new album with songs like this, that are perfect for running and busting your butt at the gym:



I think I'm going to get a slow cooker. So look for a working-mama type recipe in this spot next week.

the creepy passage

No comments:

Post a Comment