Wednesday, September 28, 2011

in the mix

My half marathon is on Sunday.  Physically I'm ready for it, mentally I feel a little sluggish.  I don't know what it is, but I don't feel excited (at all).  I was wondering this morning if I'm in the process of sabotaging myself.  Am I afraid?  I don't think so.  I know I can finish and finishing is my main goal this first half marathon.  Music is the one  thing that can pull me out of a running funk, but none of my old favourites are doing the trick.

I have a running playlist that is different from what I usually listen too.  In fact if something from my running mix comes up on the ipod when we are sitting around drinking wine, I always feel a little uncomfortable.  Not because Missy Elliot is incongruous with quiet wine sipping, but because I'm so in my head when I run, that a song from my playlist feels like a page from my diary.  When I run I get to listen to music the same way I did in my twenties, intensely and with volume.  It's a major reason why I run and I can usually count on it to keep me going.

So I need to find some new songs for my running playlist.  Songs that will pull me out of this sluggishness.  I'm going to give this a try:

No comments:

Post a Comment