Friday, June 24, 2011

Father's Day Feast


On Father's Day we pulled out all the stops for my husband.  There was breakfast in bed, and glittery homemade cards.  And a late lunch with the pretty plates and wine.  I love getting the pretty plates out--I should do it more often.  And yes, he deserves all this and more.  I feel very lucky to have such a good guy in my life.

We had grilled rack of lamb.  I am very annoyed with my picture-taking-self because you can't see the ribs.  I french-cut the rack myself and I should have showed off a little!  To prepare the rack for grilling I just smeared it with good mustard and sprinkled course salt, chopped rosemary, and pepper over it.  We grilled hot to sear it and then finished it over indirect heat.  Perfect medium rare!

I served the lamb with tree tomato pineapple chutney:


2 tablespoons oil
1 onion chopped
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 cake of raspadura (unrefined cane sugar=3/4 to 1 cup brown sugar)
1/2 a pineapple chopped
6 tree tomatoes blanched, peeled, and chopped


In a sauce pan, saute the onion with the cumin and cinnamon until the onion is soft.  Add the rest of the ingredients and cook over a low flame until the the fruit is thick and jammy-1 to 1 & 1/2 hours.

Rounding out the menu with roasted lemon potatoes, spinach salad with almonds, apricots and shaved parmesan and a disassembled Greek salad (that is, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives and feta cheese on a platter--my kids like it better like this, and it looks prettier).  I also made a loaf of white bread (always such a treat) so my younger daughter would have something to eat.

It was lovely.  We finished up with Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Pavlova.  I totally recommend this recipe.


I think Pavlovas might be my new thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment