Monday, November 14, 2011

feel better

So, a few months ago I changed my diet to manage my migraines. And it worked remarkably well and I've been running a lot and generally feeling better than I have in ages. I'd been migraine free since the middle of May (I'd been having them weekly before that). Like a fool, because I've been feeling so amazingly good, I started sliding off my wagon. A little cookie here, a piece of pizza there. I'd feel a bit yucky, but no migraine. Then last week I over did it completely starting with a bag of fancy Italian cookies and culminating in pizza and beer on Friday night. I didn't feel well when I woke up on Saturday but I chalked it up to dehydration and went for my run. Within a couple of hours I was in a full aura, roiling stomach, major migraine event. I spent the day in darkened-room misery listening to Andre Agassi's biography. It was very bad (not the book, it's pretty good actually) and I'm still feeling the migraine hangover today.

The weekend would have been a complete bust (of the mommy's got a headache variety) except Jane Goodall was in Panama. 
www.janegoodall.org
I took my older daughter to see her last night. It was wonderful. What a lovely, inspiring human being. I am so grateful that we got to see her. She is a so full of optimism and energy. She was just back from spending a couple of days in an Indigenous community in the Darien. She mostly spoke about her Roots and Shoots program and the importance of children and youth doing community work. My daughter and I were both enchanted and inspired. My head still hurts but my heart is full.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing oppurtunity. I'm happy to hear that you were able to muster the energy to go. I am betting it was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jane Goodall, she is amazing! I'm so glad you were able to take your daughter to see her speak.

    Did you see her at the City of Knowledge? I so need to be in Panama!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Sally we saw her at City of Knowledge. It really was a wonderful experience for both of us.

    ReplyDelete