Monday, October 31, 2011

a rainy Halloween


Halloween isn't officially celebrated here in Panama. In fact there is a politician trying to get a law passed preventing Halloween from being celebrated in the schools (I don't know which schools celebrate Halloween-it is certainly not that common). He claims it is unchristian and un-Panamanian--whatever, this is just political dissembling with some patriotic pretension. We, like many Panamanians, go to a private party.

We have friends that live in a gated community that invite us to their Halloween celebration every year. There are costume contests, games and all kinds of treats. My kids love it and look forward to it. Unfortunately, the rain never let up enough for much trick or treating but we had fun anyway.

Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura!
    It seems that the message I sent you a few days ago did not arrive to you. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that it is a real pleasure to read your blog. I also wanted to let you know that I admire your courage and strength. You inspire me as a mother and a woman. Congratulatulations for your 21 k marathon. WOW!!!
    And thank you for your thaughts and comforting recipes.

    Say a big hello to your family,

    Agnès (from tree planting)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Agnès,
    It's so nice to hear from you and I'm so glad you like the blog.
    Thank you for your kind words,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete